Sunday, October 9, 2011

Take a walk, kid.

On my way to class, I feel like I walk through two different worlds. I get out of my door and walk down Neil Ave until I get to Lane. All the while trying to keep up with the student in front of me or making sure the person behind me isn't on me heels. This is only made more enjoyable by the constant threat of stepping on shattered beer bottles. While walking, I keep trying to figure out how far of a walk this would have been if I were in Boston and how much I miss even pavement. Finally I get to a corner, I think on Northwood, where the pavement has been cracked away and a patch of what looks like cobblestone peeks out from underneith. It makes me think of the east cost. Cobblestone isn't very midwestern. When I get to Lane I remember how much I hate two-way streets and wait for what seems like a lifetime to cross over to the other side. Then I remind myself that I am horribly impatient and need to work on that. Finally, I cross and it feels like I'm in a totally different universe. Everything is brick. I love brick buildings. The sidewalks are even. I trip less. Everything is wonderful. I pass Fisher on my left and say a silent wish that business school won't be the hell that I expect it to be. Then I get over my foolish fantasy and admit that it will most likely be the death of me, but boy will it make me money...Hopefully. Then I get to the ever-so-pleasant intersection with traffic in 36938564593 different directions and try not to get hit by a car. From there the walk to the statium isn't so bad, it's just taunting. It's like walking in Las Vegas. Everything looks so close, then after 2 miles of walking you finally reach your destination. It's not quite two miles, but the feeling is the same. In the stadium, I feel like a mouse. No sunshine, just lines, and you can't see there from here. It's either a rat trap or a cinderblock labrynth. Either way, I am not pleased. When I sit, I feel awkwardly winded. Stairs. That's what I needed after my walk. I need a bike. Wait, I can't ride a bike to save my life. I remember that my life is a joke. Then class starts.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you chronicled your journey to class here. It is very sensitive to your surroundings, self-deprecating, and insightful. I hate the stadium, so I especially like your description of it as a rat trap. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete