Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The loneliest number...

I chose the Cheez It box from my MP2 project to build my monument since it relates more to an action I do everyday on campus. I chose my location because I eat lunch each week across from the Garden of Constants, so I always relate it with food, like Cheez Its. I chose the number 1 because it is covered with tiles, so the boxes would act similarly to the original material. The Cheez It box sculpture is not supposed to stand on its own, but enhance that which surrounds it, like the tile does to the 1 sculpture, and the 1 sculpture does to the rest of the Garden.
The sculpture appears as stacked and carved Cheez It boxes forming the number 1, but it is a back-lit fiberglass structure that is painted to like boxes. It does not show shadows and shines through the night for those midnight munchies. I would expect people to treat it as they do the original number 1 sculpture, but find it slightly more amusing, and possibly hunger-inducing. They wouldn't physically interact or climb on it except for the occasional novelty photo, nor would its existence be particularly off-putting. Overall, my sculpture is just a fun twist on what already exists, and might make people stop and stare at something they might not pay particular attention to when they pass by on their way to class.


No comments:

Post a Comment